Friday, January 28, 2011

Toufa.



Jia Ying called me this afternoon, sobbing. When she mentioned Eugin's name, I knew things weren't right. I didn't want to hear or believe it. But it really did happen. He met with an accident back at camp. While Jia Ying was explaining it all to me, my eyes  couldn't bear the weight of the news. It all came at me all too suddenly, I just couldn't believe it. It was Eugin, for goodness sake. He was one of the nicest guys I had ever known; a true friend and a great son.

There were plenty of memories involving him back in secondary school. During peer support group and drama sessions, he was always there to perk things up. His winning smile made our hearts go soft and when he laughed, he always covered his mouth shyly. Adorable. Toufa was our inside joke back in the day because there was this time when we were making bubble tea and we found a strand of hair inside it. Okay, moving on. I remember how we always had rehearsals near his block and once, we met this guy called Benjamin. I found him cute so Shikin and Eugin helped me chase that guy around. 

And I've just watched the news, they were talking about Eugin; even put up his photograph and interviewed his dad. His dad was sobbing and all. I give my deepest condolences to Eugin's family and pray that they can somehow go through this difficult time together. I am lost for words. Even if you ask me now, I will tell you that I am still in shock.

He had such a bright future ahead of him. He was always the one to win arguments and could make comebacks as easily as he could laugh. A winner and a joy to be with. There was supposed to be a reunion with him, Shikin and Jia Ying but unfortunately, it never happened. And at tomorrow's wake, Shikin, Jia Ying and everyone else will be there. We wanted a reunion, but not like this. Yes, I regret not initiating a meet-up earlier on. I never got the chance to tell him what a great guy he was. So guys, I really hope that ya'll treasure your loved ones. Life is really too short. Any parting could be forever, and we don't know.

I know you're in a better place, Eugin. Rest in peace. We love you. <3


No comments: